With onset of spring you can expect regular updates on pollen counts.Tens of millions of people across the globe, suffer from allergy symptoms caused due to exposure to tree, grass and weed pollens.
Pollen is a fine, powdery and yellowish in color, that is transported from one plant to the other by the wind, birds and insects. Pollen spreading helps to fertilize plants but it causes seasonal allergy for a lot of people.
Common Symptoms of Pollen Allergy.
-Itchy throat and eyes
Pollen can cause asthma symptoms to be more serious, including an increase in coughing and wheezing.
Restorative Action Against Pollen Allergy At Home.
You can always opt for natural ways to relieve pollen allergy symptoms. Some of the best home remedies are:
1. Using neti pot to flush out the pollen from your nose.You can also use a squeeze bottle in case a net pot is not handy enough.
2. Remove and wash the clothes you wore outside immediately.
3. Instead of drying your clothes in a clothing line. Use a dryer.
4. Use air conditioners both in your home and car to prevent pollen inhalation.
5. Investing in an efficient particulate air (HEPA) filter or dehumidifier can be very beneficial.
6. Vacuuming regularly with a cleaner that has a HEPA filter can be helpful.
Do remember that it is always beneficial to consult your doctor before trying any new supplements or herbs, as it might have negative effects on your body.
Ways to minimize your exposure to pollen :
– Try staying indoors on dry and windy days
– Try not to get involved in gardening work or any other yard work during peak pollen spreading seasons. Have someone else to help you.
– Wear a dust mask whenever you go outside.It will help you both against pollen and pollution.
– Close the doors and windows of your room during peak pollen season.
Include a good portion of the following foods in your diet to Prevent Pollen Allergy
- Dark green and leafy vegetables like kale, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli and spinach.
- Deep yellow and orange vegetables like orange, lemons, papaya, pineapple,bananas,apricots, peaches ,mangoes etc.
- Nettles, bamboo shoots, cabbage, beet tops, beets, carrots, yams
- Onions, garlic, ginger and cayenne pepper
- Drink sufficient water throughout the day.
DO NOT Include the following in your Diet:
- Alcohol, caffeine, and dairy products
- Food colorings
- Red meat